Troubleshooting the Trash: Overflowing Dumpsters and Bulky Trash
On site dumpsters piled high with stinking garbage doesn’t just look or smell bad, they can have a negative impact on tenants’ or customers’ health, the environment, and business’s image. Let’s break down the problems and how having a balanced bulk trash removal service can help ease concerns.
Bacteria, Vermin & Insects
Overflowing dumpsters and bulky trash piles are breeding grounds for nasty bacteria. As waste decomposes, it creates microbes that can cause diseases and other health issues like gastroenteritis, malaria, typhoid, cholera, as well as stomach pains, vomiting, and chronic diarrhea. Vermin and insects are attracted to the smelly trash and spread the debris and infectious diseases.
One of the main reasons you can smell overflowing garbage from a distance is because the airborne particles are released into the air, creating air pollution—one of the leading causes of respiratory diseases. When we inhale them, it can cause infections, diseases, and lung damage. The toxic substances released into the air from garbage include carbon dioxide, nitrous oxide, and methane.
Trash doesn’t have to be buried to contaminate the soil. Some bulky items might be inorganic, meaning they sit and break down over time, but those items could include toxic materials which leach into the soil, making them hazardous to humans.
Hazardous garbage like batteries, electronics, unused paints, and other chemicals are not only hazardous to humans if the waste ends up in water, but it can also change the composition of the water and adversely affect fish and other animals that drink from the water source.
Your Tenants’ and Customers’ Rights
Obviously, the health and environmental concerns of overflowing trash is crucial, but landlords and property owners have a legal obligation to keep their property clean and safe. Landlords are required to provide the appropriate garbage receptacles for trash. The receptacles should be adequate for storing the trash until the regularly scheduled removal time.
Preventing Problems Associated with Overflowing Dumpsters and Bulky Items
If you are a property manager, HOA, daycare, gym, office, college or university, restaurant, or other business with an on-site dumpster, there are several ways you can maintain a safe, healthy, odor-free property. It starts by implementing a good managed program.
- Inspire community pride. Notify your tenants that all trash must be placed in a trash bag and must be disposed of in a trash dumpster. Let them know the risks of overflowing trash.
- Implement or Increase recycling programs to cut down on the amount of trash placed in dumpsters.
- Convert food particles into liquified waste. Food waste makes up 22% of all municipal solid waste.
- Find a solution for your bulk items. If your local municipality does not pick up the items, contract with a third party.
- Have a plan in place for seasonal or out of the ordinary Issues. If your organization has heavy trash periods like holidays, opening and closing of dorms, move-in/move-out dates, festivals, or other events, plan extra pick-ups around those days.
Don’t wait for your weekly garbage service to pick up the clutter at your property. Let Clean Advantage help balance your organization’s trash program with our bulk trash removal services.
Clean Advantage can schedule bulk trash removal and disposal services according to your property’s needs – daily, twice a week, weekly or monthly
Call (301) 579-8820 today to schedule an immediate on-site visit, or complete the online form to schedule an on-site consultation today.